WARWICK, RI — Four months after the Warwick City Council approved $3 million set aside for the School Department contingent on a settled teacher’s contract and six months after the agreement was ratified by the district and Warwick Teachers’s Union, the public has received its first look at the full Warwick teachers’s contract.
Warwick Schools Executive Director of Human Resources Katherine Duncanson released the full document to the Warwick Post April 12 after an inquiry about the contract earlier this month. The contract had not been posted to the district’s website or the Warwick Teacher’s Union website as of April 12.
Following the release of the contract to the Post, the school district added the 2017-2020 and 2015-2017 contracts to its website.
The full document is embedded below in a smartphone friendly format. Here are a few excerpts from the document, to be followed by a detailed analysis:
- The contract is a three-year agreement, effective Sept. 1, 2017 through Aug. 31, 2020.
- The Committee agrees that a class size of approximately twenty-five (25) pupils is a desirable educational goal. In this regard, the Committee shall keep class size as low as is administratively possible, and within the limits of physical plant.
- The number of special education students, mainstreamed into core academic classes or placed in collaborative classrooms, shall not exceed thirty percent (30%) of the total of the registered population of that class. If during the school year circumstances arise which require that the 30% ratio be exceeded, the teacher shall receive addition compensation for the number of students beyond the 30% on a pro-rata of the teacher’s salary for the length of time the ratio exceeds 30%.
- A collaborative class shall be a core academic class that is taught by both a regular education content area teacher and a special education teacher. Both teachers shall be teachers of record for the entire roster of students of the collaborative class.
- Each medical and dental plan participant will pay a co-share premium of up to 20% annually as a payroll deduction apportioned for each pay period. This co-share shall not exceed the following:
- Classic Individual $1,328
- Classic Family $3,364
- HealthMate Individual $1,237
- HealthMate Family $3,145
- Delta Dental Individual $ 63
- Delta Dental Family $ 194
|1||$ 42,862||$ 44,148||$ 45,473||$ 46,837|
|2||$ 47,268||$ 48,686||$ 50,146||$ 51,651|
|3||$ 50,890||$ 52,417||$ 53,989||$ 55,609|
|4||$ 54,513||$ 56,148||$ 57,833||$ 59,568|
|5||$ 58,140||$ 59,884||$ 61,681||$ 63,531|
|6||$ 61,757||$ 63,610||$ 65,518||$ 67,483|
|7||$ 65,714||$ 67,685||$ 69,715||$ 71,807|
|8||$ 69,010||$ 71,080||$ 73,213||$ 75,409|
|9||$ 71,972||$ 74,131||$ 76,355||$ 78,646|
|10||$ 79,055||$ 81,427||$ 83,870||$ 86,386|
*Effective Base Salary. Actual Salary pro-rated to reflect effective dates.WarwickSchoolsWTUcontract