Theres a lot of highway and bridge construction going on in Rhode Island in 2020, with the following advisories and lane closures effective for the week of Feb. 15-21:
Interstate Highway Restrictions
I-295/Rte. 6 Bridge Rehabilitation (Johnston)
* Closure of the southbound through lanes. Through traffic will utilize the new bridges on the service road.
* Access will be maintained for ramps to Rte. 6 West to Hartford, Conn. (Exit 9C) and Rte. 6 East to Providence (Exit 9A).
* The on-ramp from Hartford Ave./Rte. 6A West to I-295 South will remain closed.
Rte. 6 and Rte. 6A (Hartford Ave.)
* Lane closed on the ramp from Rte. 6 West to I-295 North
* Lane closures possible on both Rte. 6 and Rte. 6A at the I-295 overpasses
* On-ramp closed from Rte. 6A West to I-295 South. Left turns permitted for nearby on-ramp normally used by Rte. 6A East traffic.
Limited access highway restrictions
6/10 Interchange Project
Motorists can expect the following changes:
* Rte. 6 East, all traffic shifted onto the existing Rte. 6 West roadway just after the Hartford Ave. exit. Lanes are narrow.
* The Broadway off ramp is closed.
* Rte. 6 East towards Rte. 10 North, left lane closed for a bridge inspection, Sun. night, 9 p.m.-3 a.m.
* Rte. 6 West, from Rte. 10 interchange to Hartford Ave., Mon.-Fri., 7 a.m.-2 p.m.
* Rte. 10 North, from Union Ave. to the Tobey St. overpass, lane shift in place for through traffic and the Westminster St. off-ramp.
* Rte. 10 North, from Union Ave. to Broadway, right lane closed for a bridge inspection, Sun. night, 9 p.m.-3 a.m.
* Rte. 10 South, from the Rte. 10 South and Rte. 6 West split to the Rte. 6 East and Rte. 10 South on-ramp, road closed for a bridge inspection, Mon. night, 9 p.m.-3 a.m. Follow signed detour.
* Rte. 10, from Union Ave. to Tobey St., left lane closed for construction, Mon.-Thurs. nights, 8 p.m.-6 a.m.
* On Connector outbound a new lane split is in place for Rte. 10 South and Route 6 West, one-half mile before its original location. Lanes are narrow.
Affected City Streets
* Traffic from the Tobey St./Harris Ave. on-ramp does not have direct access to Rte. 10 South. Follow detour signs.
* Traffic shifted on the Broadway and Westminster St. bridges over the highway.
* Periodic one-lane closures possible along Rte. 10 and Rte. 6 on off-peak hours Monday-Friday.
Extended Lane Closures
Providence: Lane closures possible for bridge construction on Providence Place and Promenade St., at their intersection with Park Place and the rear entrance to Providence Place Mall, Mon.-Fri., 7 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Providence: Branch Ave., from the ramp to I-95 South to the ramp to I-95 North, two eastbound lanes closed and one lane open in each direction on the westbound side for bridge work, Mon.-Thurs. nights, 7 p.m.-6 a.m.
Providence: Smithfield Ave., on the Smithfield Ave. Bridge over I-95, alternating lane closures for construction, Mon.-Thur. nights, 7 p.m.-6 a.m.
Cranston/Johnston: Rte. 14, from Sailor’s Way to I-295 North on-ramp, and from Simmonsville Ave. to I-295 South on-ramp, alternating lane closures for construction, Tues.-Fri., 7 a.m.-3 p.m.
Providence: County Rd., from New Meadow Rd. to Mathewson Rd., alternating one-way traffic for construction, Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
Jamestown: Conanicus Ave., from Newport Bridge Plaza to Narragansett Ave., alternating one-way traffic for tree trimming, Mon., 8 a.m.-3 p.m.
Jamestown: Walcott Ave., from Narragansett Ave. to Fort Wetherhill Rd., alternating one-way traffic for tree trimming, Mon., 8 a.m.-3 p.m.
Jamestown: Hamilton Ave., from Walcott Ave. to Beavertail Rd., alternating one-way traffic in a moving operation for tree trimming, Tues., 8 a.m.-3 p.m.
Jamestown: Beavertail Rd., from Hamilton Ave. to Beavertail State Park, alternating one-way traffic in a moving operation for tree trimming, Tues., 8 a.m.-3 p.m.
Jamestown: North Rd., from Rte. 138 to Southwest Ave., alternating one-way traffic in a moving operation for tree trimming, Wed.-Fri., 8 a.m.-3 p.m.
Norther RI & Blackstone Valley
Temporary Bridge Closure
Cumberland: The Town-owned Howard Rd. Bridge, which carries Howard Rd. over Abbott Run, is currently closed. Please follow signed detour via Abbot Run Valley Rd. in Cumberland or from Paine Rd. in Mass.
Lincoln: Rte. 116, at Rte. 146 on ramp, alternating lane closures for construction, Tues.-Fri., 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
Richmond: Rte. 138, at the Kingston Rd. Bridge, lane shifts in place for construction, Mon.-Fri., 7 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
West Greenwich: Hopkins Hill Rd., under the Hopkins Hill Rd. Bridge, alternating lane closures for construction, Tues.-Thurs., 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
This is a test