WARWICK, RI — In 2015, Tina Smith helped Jennifer Montecalvo provide Christmas dinner for her family, and now she’s returning the favor with a GoFundme page after Smith’s family’s belongings and home were destroyed during Saturday’s fire at their 126 Toll Gate Road apartment.
Warwick Firefighters spent three hours keeping the fire under control while National Grid cut into the street to turn off the natural gas line that helped fuel the flames started when a pickup truck struck the building at about noon and destroyed the gas meter.
Tenants in four units at the building were displaced by the damage the fire caused, and the Smith family, including a six and four-year-old, have lost everything. The family will eventually accept donations, Montecalvo said, but first, they need resources to find a new home.
The Smith family has helped others through tough times, including Montecalvo.
“I was in a very tough spot and messaged her about the possibility of being one of the families that she could help. She
was so kind and understanding and I met with her within a few days. She brought me the entire meal, drinks, sides, desserts and ornaments that her children made for our tree,” Montecalvo said.
“They didn’t even have much themselves, but we’re willing to bless us. When I found out that this was her home, I had to do anything and everything to help her and pay it forward,” Montecalvo said.
This is a test