WARWICK, R.I. — Runners have long complimented the Central Rhode Island Chamber of Commerce‘s annual Rocky Point 5K for its beautiful scenes and challenging hills, and about 500 will get another run through the course Saturday, rain or shine.
The charity fundraising run along Narragansett Bay through Rocky Point Park will benefit Bridgemark Inc. and Habitat for Humanity – West Bay and Northern Rhode Island.
The race draws about 500 runners each year. Lauren Slocum, President and CEO of the Central RI Chamber, said this year they’re recognizing team names for groups of five or more registering together. Runners may register online and on-site right up till the day of the race, though those registering on the day will need to do so by 8:30 a.m. before the race’s 10 a.m. kickoff. The Registration fee is $35 per person.
Pre-Registered participants may pick up their bib number/timing chip on Friday, May 18, from 5 -7 p.m. at Warwick Neck Elementary School, 150 Lennox Ave. Those picking up race bags for other runners must bring a signed waiver, with original signature, for each person’s bag.
The Chamber will make a gift to Warwick Neck Elementary School, 55 Rocky Point Ave, the longtime hosting venue for the start and finish of the race. Slocum said this year they’ll present the school with a picnic tables and a market umbrella for students and staff to enjoy lunches outside.
“It’s our way of saying thanks to the school,” Slocum said.
Vendors with booths at the race start include AT&T, Bridgemark, Inc., CBD Center of RI, Habitat for Humanity, Haven Fitness, Launch Trampoline, Carabba’s Restaurant, the Rocky Point Foundation, and WarwickPost.com.
Rocky Point 5K Route:
- Start on Rocky Point Ave turn right onto Warwick Neck Ave
- Right onto Channing Street
- Left onto Young Ave
- Travel the Meadow View Ave Bike/Walking Path
- Right onto Palmer Ave
- Left onto Brinton Ave
- Right onto Camp St
- Left onto Ogden Ave
- Left onto Cliff Rd
- Stay on Cliff Rd – turns into Pyle Ln
- Left onto Priscilla Ave
- Turns into Alden Ave
- Turn right onto Burnett Rd
- Turn Right on Priscilla Ave, almost immediately turn Left onto Burnett Road
- Stay on Burnett Rd turns into Rocky Beach Road
- Turns into Nest Ave and leads onto Rocky Point Walking Path
- Continue through Rocky Point Park on the Walking Path
- Straight up Rocky Point Ave to the Finish Line