Posted on Leave a comment

Man Strikes Officer, Charged for DUI & Assault

[CREDIT: Rob Borkowski] The WPD has ID'd the drivers in Monday's Airport Road Motorcycle crash, and disclosed more details of the investigation.

[CREDIT: Rob Borkowski] The WPD has ID'd the drivers in Monday's Airport Road Motorcycle crash, and disclosed more details of the investigation.
[CREDIT: Rob Borkowski] Warwick Police Department. Warwick Police charged a man with DUI & assault April 14 after he struck an officer detaining him on Warwick Avenue.
WARWICK, RI — Warwick Police arrested a Warwick man, 61, charging him with DUI & assault April 14 at 2:48 p.m. after he struck an officer responding to a report that he’d driven drunk to and from the 1584 Warwick Ave. Metro PCS store.

Officer Tyler Luiz responded to the call, made by the store clerk, who said the man, later identified as Edward J. Santos, 61, of 15 Ramblewood Drive, Warwick, RI, had driven to the store in a black Nissan Altima, then entered and told her he had been drinking and was intoxicated, according to Luiz’s report. The employee said Santos had left the store, then driven away.

When Luiz arrived at the store, Santos had returned, and was making a purchase. The clerk told Luiz that Santos was the same man she had reported. After the transaction was finished, Luiz attempted to speak with Santos, but the man was not cooperative, according to the officer’s report.

Santos said he owned the Nissan but that a friend had driven him there, and that he was going to walk home, refusing to take a sobriety test to prove he was fit to drive. Luiz reported Santos had bloodshot eyes and that he slurred his speech.

According to Luiz’s report, Santos said, “See you later,” and walked out of the store, heading south toward 1590 Warwick Ave. Luiz told him he wasn’t done speaking to him and positioned himself in front of the man, telling him that he was detaining the man. Santos replied that it was not illegal to walk and continued moving toward the officer.

Luiz put his hands up level with Santos’s shoulders to prevent him from walking further, and Santos raised his hands in fists and moved them toward the officer’s head, striking him, according to the report.

Luiz grabbed Santos’s shirt collar and placed him on the ground, stomach down, and ordered him to put his hands behind his back. Luiz was only able to handcuff one of the larger man’s hands as he resisted for about two minutes. WPD Chief Brad Connor arrived shortly after and assisted Luiz in getting Santos on his feet again, after which Luiz was able to handcuff his other hand.

Luiz placed Santos in his cruiser and eventually transported him to Warwick Police Headquarters, 99 Veterans Memorial Drive, where he refused a breath test and was charged with DUI, blood alcohol unknown, and simple assault. He was also cited for refusing a breath test of his blood alcohol content.

Santos’s Nissan was towed from the scene by P&P Towing.

Interviews with the reporting caller and staff at Hooters Restaurant on Airport Road determined that Santos had driven the car to the Metro PCS lot himself both times, and that an older white man matching his description had left the Hooter’s restaurant, walking unsteadily, as if imparied, shortly before arriving at the Metro PCS store. The store clerk said Santos had told her he’d left Hooters after they refused to continue serving him.

Rob Borkowski
Author: Rob Borkowski

Rob has worked as reporter and editor for several publications, including The Kent County Daily Times and Coventry Courier, before working for Gatehouse in MA then moving home with Patch Media. Now he's publisher and editor of Contact him at [email protected] with tips, press releases, advertising inquiries, and concerns.

This is a test