Posted on

Pawtucket Shooting Feb. 16: Coventry Players Safe

[CREDIT: CPS] Coventry Public Schools Superintendent Don Cowart reports all Coventry boys hockey players present Monday at the time of the Lynch Arena in Pawtucket shooting are safe.

[CREDIT: CPS] Coventry Public Schools Superintendent Don Cowart reports all Coventry boys hockey players present Monday at the time of the Lynch Arena in Pawtucket shooting are safe.
[CREDIT: CPS] Coventry Public Schools Superintendent Don Cowart reports all Coventry boys hockey players present Monday at the time of the Lynch
Arena in Pawtucket shooting are safe.
COVENTRY, RI — All Coventry players present during the Dennis M. Lynch Arena in Pawtucket shooting at a Monday afternoon game are safe, as Rhode Island wrestles with news of a second public shooting that claimed three lives, injuring three.

The planned hockey game was  between the Coventry-Johnston co-op and Blackstone Valley Schools co-op teams.

Among those killed was the shooter himself,  Pawtucket Police Chief Tina Goncalves said during a press conference about the investigation and response to the shooting. A “good samariitan” intervened and attempted to disarm the shooter, she said. “That’s probably what led to a swift end of this tragic event,” said Goncalves.

Goncalves said Pawtucket Police received a call reporting an active shooter at the arena at about 2:30 p.m., and were at the property within a minute. She noted the shooting was livestreamed and recorded on several personal devices at the time. She urged anyone with any information or video to contact the Pawtucket Police Department at (401) 727-9100 ext. 1711.

The RI Interscholastic League has suspended all interscholastic games, “out of respect for the victims and to reflect on this senseless act of violence,” wrote  RIIL Executive Director Mike Lunney.

WPRI12 confirmed in its report that the shooter was a 56-year-old father of a North Providence High School senior, and that the two others killed were members of his family. WPRI12 also interviewed Coventry sophomore Olin Lawrence about what he saw and heard when the Pawtucket shooting happened.

The Coventry School District confirmed that all students from the boys hockey team who were present during the Pawtucket shooting were accounted for
and are safe.

“District officials were notified of the situation while the team was at the arena and immediately began coordinating with event staff and law enforcement. An officer from the Coventry Police Department is on scene and remains with the students. School staff are also present and supervising the team,” said Coventry Schools Superintendent Don Cowart in a press release about the Pawtucket shooting. By 5:30 p.m., he reported, all Coventry students had been safely reunited with their loved ones.

Mental health resources will be made available to the Hockey students and families, and Cowart encouraged anyone who may need support to access the services.

“We are grateful for the swift response of first responders and arena personnel,” Cowart said.

In December, a shooter killed two students at Brown University, with the investigation briefly focusing on a Coventry hotel before the shooter was located, dead from a self-inflicted gunshot, in New Hampshire.

“Our state is grieving again,” said Governor Dan McKee in a statement Monday night.

“As Governor, a parent, and a former coach, my heart breaks for the victims, families, students, and everyone impacted by the devastating shooting at Lynch Arena in Pawtucket. I am deeply grateful for the first responders, hospital staff, mental health workers, RIPTA drivers, and all those who responded quickly and bravely.

A tragedy like this is incredibly difficult for people of any age to process. If you need support tonight, please call 9-8-8 to speak with someone who is there to listen. Agencies across my administration are working together to provide additional mental health resources to students and families this week.

I’ve spoken to the municipal leaders whose communities have been shaken by this shooting to assure them that they have the state’s full support. I am praying for Rhode Island.”

“Like all Rhode Islanders, I am devastated by the violence that occurred in Pawtucket and my heart and deepest prayers are with the victims, their families, and the entire community affected by this tragedy,” said RI House Minority Leader Michael W. Chippendale, (R-Dist. 40, Western Coventry (Greene), Foster, Glocester).

Mental Health Services Available Following Pawtucket Shooting

In Pawtucket, City officials are working with local partners and mental health professionals to provide counseling and support services. We encourage players, students, families, and staff to seek help during this difficult time.

For information about available services, call 211.
The Blackstone Valley Visitors Center (175 Main Street, Pawtucket, RI) will open Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026, from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m. for individuals who were present during the shooting and their families. Organizations offering behavioral health support include:
Starting Wednesday, Feb. 18, the Visitors Center will be open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. for as long as needed.
Rob Borkowski
Author: Rob Borkowski

Rob has worked as reporter and editor for several publications, including The Kent County Daily Times and Coventry Courier, before working for Gatehouse in MA then moving home with Patch Media. Now he's publisher and editor of WarwickPost.com. Contact him at editor@warwickpost.com with tips, press releases, advertising inquiries, and concerns.

This is a test